Many brides spend sleepless nights and frantic days planning their big days, but with so many moving parts from the food to the outfits to the family arrangements, a hiccup or two is bound to happen. But, it doesn’t hurt to be as prepared as possible. This is where our “Oh Shit” Kit comes in handy – we got you!
Our kit is built on the following premise: it’s better to be safe than sorry. Who knows what will happen? You might need that extra pair of contact lenses, a second copy of your wedding vows, or maybe even a backup set of wedding rings! The best way to determine what you would need to add to this list is to think about what would constitute an emergency and how you can stay one step ahead.
Here’s the ultimate list to help you cover for all eventualities on your wedding day.
“Oh Shit” Kit Items #1: Health & Wellness
- Paracetamol – A multipurpose analgesia for headaches, to ward off a fever or for fighting flu symptoms.
- Antacids – If you suffer from any gastritis issues or indigestion, stock up on your usual brand of antacids.
- Eye drops – If you use contact lenses, have eye drops suitable for those wearing contact lenses and if you don’t wear contact lenses, then have eye drops to help with irritation.
- Plasters – Very handy not just for cuts but also helping to give a little coverage for blisters on the back of your ankles or on your feet!
- Non-drowsy allergy medications – It’s handy to have antihistamines on standby. Get some from the pharmacy – but be sure to ask for the non-drowsy ones!
- Tampons/Sanitary pads – We’re sure you know – that you’ll never know.
- Tissues – If we had to pick only one to pack, it would be this! Tissues are multipurpose – for wiping off happy tears, blotting off sweat, and heaven forbid – if the venue’s washrooms ran out of toilet rolls.
- Wet wipes – For that moment you can’t get to a sink.
- Hand sanitisers – A quick and easy way to keep your hands clean and germ-free in between all those handshakes.
- Deodorant – Sweating, and worse, smelling, is never a good look for brides and grooms.
- Dental floss – Don’t let that spinach get in the way when you say “I do”.
- Tooth brush & tooth paste – Sometimes your teeth don’t feel right after a meal or a mint and it feels a little uncomfortable, but don’t let that get in the way! A simple alternative is chewing gum.
- Mouthwash – You’ll be saying tonnes of thank yous, so be sure your breath doesn’t smell funky!
“Oh Shit” Kit Items 2: Beauty Must-Haves
- Hair brush/comb & hair spray – Don’t let any hair get out of place for those photo ops!
- Small mirror – So you can quickly check now and again that everything is in order.
- Compact powder & oil blotters – For touch-ups in case your face gets too oily.
- Lip balm – You’ll be doing a lot of talking (and hopefully, kissing *wink*) so keep those lips nice and supple.
- Lipstick/lip gloss – For touch-ups after eating and drinking.
- Perfume & cologne – In case you forget to do it when you left your home or even if you need a quick spritz in between all the festivities.
- Hand cream – Dry hands are not pleasant to shake hands with!
- Tweezers – to pluck out any stray unruly eyebrow hairs or even nostril hairs (eeww but a reality for some!)
- Nail clippers & nail file – File down or clip away any sharp edges so you don’t scratch yourself or even snag your outfits, especially if you’re wearing anything delicate like lace, chiffon, or silk.
- Lint brush – To ensure you look spick and span!
- Eye lash glue – This may sound like an odd thing to have but if you are planning to have fake lashes on, they may come off from too much crying and wiping the eyes!
- Cotton buds – Not for your ears, but essential for when you’re doing minor makeup touch-ups.
“Oh Shit” Kit Items 3: Just In Case
- Sewing kit – Buttons fall out or things come off unexpectedly. This will help prevent that wardrobe malfunction! Be sure to pack safety pins, scissors, and double-sided tape too.
- Boob tape – Flash those pearly whites, nothing else!
- Super glue – Another odd thing to have, but super useful in case a heel comes off. Be sure to get a good super glue that will dry fast!
- Stain remover – Clinking glasses and saucy dishes can be a recipe for disaster.
- Comfy foldable flats – A practical must-have for any bride, who’ll be sure to run around on this extremely special, extremely busy day.
- Power bank – The ultimate tool for all your gadgets!
- Thumb drive – Have all your photo slideshows, videos, and music playlists saved here in case anything goes wrong with the copies your vendors have.
“Oh Shit” Kit Items 4: Refuel
- Biscuits/cookies – Preferably in individual packets, this is a great way to ward off hunger pangs and not stain your teeth or clothes at the same time.
- Drinking water – Keeping hydrated is very important on the wedding day.
- Energy bars – For when energy is low and you need an energy boost.
- Breath mints – Suck on these suckers to prevent bad breath.
With this super kit, both you and your husband-to-be will be covered. Have someone trustworthy carry this for you, like your Maid of Honour and Best Man! It’s important that the person carrying this kit is close by so that both of you will have access to it the minute it’s needed. Good luck!
You can download a PDF version of this checklist here.
By Ann Lee.